Before Intravenous Anesthesia Sedation
- You may not have anything to eat or drink (including water) for six (6) hours prior to the appointment.
- No smoking at least 12 hours before surgery. Ideally, cut down or stop smoking as soon as possible prior to the day of surgery.
- A responsible adult must accompany the patient to the office, remain in the office during the procedure, and drive the patient home. It is recommended that this person stay with the patient for the remainder of the day.
- The patient should not drive a vehicle or operate any machinery for 24 hours following the anesthesia experience.
- Please wear loose fitting clothing with sleeves which can be rolled up past the elbow, and low-heeled shoes. Avoid white or light colored clothing. Flip- flop type shoes are not recommended as they can easily cause the patient to trip and fall.
- Contact lenses, jewelry, and dentures must be removed at the time of surgery.
- Do not wear lipstick, excessive makeup, or nail polish on the day of surgery.
- If you have an illness such as a cold, sore throat, stomach or bowel upset, please notify the office.
If you take routine oral medications, please check with Drs. Zeller and Baker prior to your surgical date for instructions.
- Ifyou are on a blood thinner such as coumadin or warfarin, you must have an INR drawn within a week of surgery. This value must be less than 3 with no increases made in your normal dosage. Special arrangements may need to be made if this is not possible and your appointment may need to be rescheduled.